Laura Cochrane, an art history professor at Middle Tennessee State University, visited the Jewish Historical Society of Greater MetroWest. She’s researching the architecture and decoration of Temple Emanuel in Beaumont, Texas, which is also the synagogue that her extended family attends. The synagogue in Beaumont was built in the early 1920s and was designed by architect Albert Gottlieb, who designed B’nai Jeshurun, the majestic synagogue building in Newark that opened in 1914.
Professor Cochrane found valuable information in the JHS archives related to the 1913 building, including correspondence with the architect, photographs, and newspaper clippings.
To see the B’nai Jeshurun collection or any other uniquely MetroWest archival collection, go to jfedgmw.pastperfectonline.com or call the archivist, Jill Hershorin, at (973) 929-2995 to make an appointment.