Cousins Laurie Kruger-Azer of Lawrenceville and Kathi Levinson of Denville donated a cornerstone from Congregation B’nai Israel of Irvington that carries the Lemmerman/Borinksy names; Esther and Samuel Lemmerman were their great-grandparents. The Lemmermans and their close friends Bessie and Louis Borinsky, founders of Tuscan Dairy Farm of Union, donated the funds for the shul’s new building, which was completed in 1927.
From a 1926 article in the Jewish Chronicle: “The actual beginnings of the present structure can be traced to a memorable gathering of a few men in the home of Max LeBow, in 1922. Previous to this, the Jews of Irvington had been accustomed to meet on the occasion of the High Holy Days at Lemmerman’s Farm, (the Essex Dairy on Mill Road) on the outskirts of the city, where services of a fashion were led by volunteers of the group.” In 1925, construction began for a new building at 706 Nye Avenue in Irvington.
The Jewish Historical Society of Greater MetroWest seeks donations from the community. If you are interested in donating materials, email Jill Hershorin, the society’s archivist and curator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (973) 929-2995.