ON SUNDAY, NOV. 17, the Global Day of Jewish Learning will be celebrated at two synagogues in the Heart of New Jersey. This year’s theme is “Speaking Volumes.”
“Jewish Federation in the Heart of New Jersey seeks to connect as many Jews as possible to Jewish life in our community,” said Stacy Feldman, director of community impact. “Promoting Global Day of Jewish Learning connects Jews all over the world to each other while also fostering a love for Jewish learning.” Federation is one of the program’s sponsors.
Neve Shalom, Metuchen
Neve Shalom in Metuchen is hosting in partnership with Temple Emanu-El of Edison, JCC of Middlesex County, and Rutgers Hillel. No fee, light refreshments will be served. For information, visit neveshalom.net
or call 732-548-2238.
Speakers and breakout sessions include:
- Rabbi Eric Rosin: “Silence Is A Form of Speech”
- Hazzan Sheldon Levin: “Power of Song Without Words”
- Rabbi Rebecca Gutterman: “Moses: Not a Man of Words?”
- Rabbi Victor Appell: “Names: Meaning and Memory”
- Rabbi Marcus Mordecai Schwartz: “Rabbi Meir and Beruria”
- Esther Fendrick and Marilyn Beutel: “The First Gift: PJ Library,” hands-on activities, stories, and fun about names
- Miriam Dobin, Aviva Berkovich, and Michelle Caravella: “Bullying and Teasing: Ishmael and Yitzhak” for grades K-4
- Elise Berlin and Nava Hess: “Lashon Hara: Evil Speech & Gossip: Miriam’s Names for Moshe’s Wife” for grades 6-7
Congregation Beth Ohr, Old Bridge
Congregation Beth Ohr in Old Bridge is hosting in partnership
with Young Israel of East Brunswick, East Brunswick Jewish Center,
and Temple B’nai Shalom. No fee, light refreshments will be served.
For information, visit oldbridgebethohr.org or call 732-257-1523.
At Beth Ohr the focus is “Words Matter” and the panel includes rabbis from multiple denominations who will discuss how and why words matter using ancient arguments and modern meanings.
Members of the panel include:
- Rabbi Joel Mishkin of Cong. Beth Ohr, moderator
- Rabbi Eric Eisenkramer of Temple B’nai Shalom
- Rabbi Jeff Pivo of East Brunswick Jewish Center
- Rabbi Efraim Unterman of Young Israel of East Brunswick